Thursday, July 17, 2008

Thing #11 - Feed Me!

My RSS feed is going to be a strange blend of geekery, education, celebrity gossip, news, and random stuff.

*Which method of finding feeds did you find easiest to use?
I enjoyed using the blogrolls of blogs I read. If I really like someone's writing, chances are, I'll like what they read, too!

*Which Search tool was the easiest for you?
I really like the no-nonsense interface of the Google Blog Search. Just like Google, you're entering a search term and coming up with some decent returns. Also, it lets you set up an email alert if you want to be notified of topical blogs that come up later. Woo hoo! It's like a reader for your search!

*Which was more confusing?
Topix confused me - I was expecting a list of blogs to subscribe to, when it's actually a news aggregate of its own. You can edit what you see, and comment on it, but I've seen similar aggregators out there (Google News links directly to the "real" article where you can comment with the readers of the original source). Even with Technorati, you have to click through to a Blog Directory. Where's the Page of Blogs I Want? The top 100 helped, but...

*What kind of useful feeds did you find in your travels?
I've been around the web, and I kind of already have my favorites... So I compared a lot of the feeds to ones I already have, and they came up lacking.

*Or what kind of unusual ones did you find?
I think my favorite is one called Overheard in New York, which posts brief snippets of strange overheard conversations.

*What other tools or ways did you find to locate newsfeeds?
A simple Google search on obscure topics that interest me came up with some cool blogs that - whaddaya know - interested me, too!

1 comment:

mmw said...

I have family members that used to live in NYC, so I used to subscribe to several blogs about the city. Overheard in New York was one of them. It is funny sometimes, but a lot to keep up with - so I unsubscribed.

That's another thing I love about a blog reader - if you don't like something or don't really need it anymore, it's so simple to get rid of it!