Sunday, July 20, 2008

Thing #23 - Twenty-Third Power

Ah, copyright.

Things are changing so quickly, as more and more information exists. It's impossible to control this spread of information, and Creative Commons helps create almost an "honor code" of copyright. There are people who thing that copyrighting works is evil. Creativity today is based so much on the idea of mashup, and who's to say that the greatest artists ever weren't using other's ideas?

I know the Learning 2.0 - 23 Things blog was based on someone else's work and modified from its original form because it's duly attributed to its original authors, and the sidebar features Credits that show up on every page of the site!

Wow! Serendipity! Check out what just showed up on my RSS Reader: A Copyright Sliderule that tells you what rights you have with any work, based on its publication date! Cool! (via Lifehacker)

I'm crazy-glad that teachers and education professionals are cool with sharing content - I don't know what I'd do as a teacher if I didn't have Google to help me. And now, I have Google, and wikis, and social networks, and all these new resources at my disposal! Woo hoo!

No comments: