Friday, July 18, 2008

Thing #16 - What a Tool!

At this point in the 23 Things course, I feel really cool. Almost every app I read about in the resources I had heard of -- and most of those I'd actually tried!!! Yay!!! I feel way less "lost" online, even though I know I haven't gotten anywhere near the End of the Internet.

I totally chose iGoogle to be my start page. Why? Well, I already use Google Calendar, Gmail, and Google Reader! I like that they have "designer" themes and fun "gadgets." I wish I knew if they were behind the MISD firewall... Are they, anyone?

As far as Google Calendar goes, I love it. I have friends who've shared their calendars with me, and it helps coordinate my weeks. If my husband asks, "Can we have friends from Houston stay at our house next weekend?" he can look on my Google Calendar and know what plans, if any, we already have. The calendar on Outlook, though, is what I use at school. It's easy to get to, and it's somewhat easy to collaborate/invite with.

I have a TaDa List, but I've recently jettisoned it, preferring to just use my Notes app on my iPhone (however, that's limited if I want to do something complicated). There may be new apps available for the iPhone, too, that I haven't checked out. Seriously, though, for work, I just use good ol' PEN AND PAPER! Best listmaker ever!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE TinyURL! It's super-hard to tell kids to type a long URL to get somewhere, and heh, even with the shortened URLs, they still make typing errors! But it helps with that.

And Lifehacker! I enjoy it, as well as the other Gawker Media sites (some of which aren't family-friendly, as it were, so I won't link to 'em).

1 comment:

mmw said...

All of the Google tools are still blocked by the firewall at this time. We hope to have a solution to that in the near future. I'll keep you posted!