Sunday, July 20, 2008

Thing #22 - Podcastaway

Ah, travels in podcasting directories...

I visited the Educational Podcast Directory. It featured an annoying, uninformative menu-based search system. Any podcasts listed were categorized, but not by any useful terms.

Podcast Directory hurt my head. TONS of paid advertising can be really misleading, not to mention visually cluttered. As for results, their top listings definitely sounded less-than safe for work (especially in a kid-centered environment).

Podcast Alley also had some NSFW options... but they have a Kids & Family section, where I found Byte Size Science. Neat! Added to my reader.

Oooh, Learn Out Loud looks way better - more polished, appropriate, and topical. And they have an age range search! I can look for great music/chants for my students there.

Honestly, I think iTunes' free podcast section is the easiest to use (though not exhaustive in its supply/range, unfortunately).

My husband and I love listening to This American Life, an NPR production that plays on the weekend while we're running errands. For road trip purposes, he loads entire episodes onto his iPod, and we plug it into my car and listen, even in the middle of nowhere, yay!

I endeavored to go into iTunes and link to the podcast, but instead of opening the Store, I went to the show's website and have linked to their web-based player. This summer, we heard a poignant tale of the way pets affect our lives, so, without further ado, here's Ira Glass with In Dog We Trust.

I don't know if podcasting is right for my kids. They're almost computer novices -- in fact, I've been trying to figure out how to teach them word processing this year in time for the Science Fair -- so I think I want to concentrate on the basics. Maybe later in the year I'll do our read-alouds by podcast, so I can get stuff done in class while they listen at their mobile laptops! I could also send them to Learn Out Loud to find podcasts that interest them for "free time" in the lab!

No comments: