Thursday, July 17, 2008

Thing #8 - Pickr 'n' Flickr


Image Generational, originally uploaded by Iridesce.

I made this conversation heart at the Acme Heartmaker, and I can't wait to play with it!

So, I started with this image. I entered it into retrievr, and it gave me all of these cool options. I next played drawing my image instead of uploading it, entering a sort-of U.S. flag as my input, and wow, one actually came up as a result!

Then I played around with Colr Pickr, and I really enjoyed this quote - it speaks to the role of Web 2.0 for artists and hackers the world over:
This is either something that designers and photo editors have been waiting their whole lives for, or one of those "I've created this because the Web lets me do it" kinds of things.
-- Alex Soojung-Kim Pang
Maybe I should make it my Web 2.0 goal to have one of my photos show up on Colr Pickr!

The guy who made Colr Pickr also made this cool image using science fiction book covers! And this one made of iconic "peril" signs! Mouse over them to see the individual photos making up the mosaics.

Finally, spelling, my favorite thing, brought to you by Spell with flickr:

m-spo A g-ca Dismantled Neon Letter C

See? A magic spell.

That sums up how I feel about sharing photos online: magic. I could spend hours (and woo hoo, as a teacher, I can, during the summer!) playing around and looking at this stuff. I'm not sure how to use it in a classroom setting - maybe looking at animals' camouflage with the Colr Pickr? Or trying to find national flags or countries on a map with retrievr?

No comments: